Not an entirely happy garden year for me. First the screwy issues with some of the peppers. Now more of the peppers have some nasty leaf spotting, which kinda looks like bacterial leaf spot, but not quite. And now a bunch of my tomatoes almost look like they’ve blighted. But not quite like they’ve blighted (late blight always affects the fruit too, and the fruit are universally unaffected here). Ugh. Broke down and bought a copper fungicide to treat with later today. The blights, and most similar type problems, are fungal, as are many of the bacterial leaf spot look-alikes. Plus we went from DRY DRY DRY to WET WET WET, which makes a fungal problem even more likely. Here’s hoping I can save the rest of the tomato crop at least.
I picked this Cayenne pepper the other day:
Or maybe that should read “peppers”??
An amusing harvest from my Sugar Rush plants:
We were given a Sugar Rush Cream pepper last year, husband liked it so I had him save several of the seeds. I also bought Sugar Rush Cream seeds, just to be safe. But I ended up with two plants from the saved seeds. What you see here is one pepper from each plant. The rounder one is fairly typical Sugar Rush Cream. The longer one is typical Sugar Rush Peach, the variety that the Creams were bred from. I was amused.
Ripening paprika peppers:
Less than happy pepper plants:
My hibiscus plants:
We also took down the dead pine in the front yard. Part of me hates having done so, the birds loved it. But it was perfectly positioned to take down the power lines to the house if it ever went over. Infact we were shocked that it DIDN’T go over this past spring, with all the high wind storms we had!
In other news, I figured out how to tell when the pears are ripe…..